20 Reasons to Stay Single in Your Early 20s
"Treat yourself" has grown to be everyone's favorite mantra — and the best justification for a splurge. So why can't we expand this self-appreciation into how we view relationships?
Your early 20s are a time of much growth that should be focused on none other than yourself. We may think we have it all down by now, considering our flourishing independence and increasing responsibilities. But in actuality, there's an incredible amount of things we still haven't been exposed to, and I don't mean just in terms of potential partners.
Until recently, I'd been committed to my ex-significant other for four years. And while it was a blast, I couldn't help but wonder what it was like to tackle the world on my own. It wasn't about seeing who else was out there — more importantly, it was about my personal growth.
Don't get me wrong — there are beautiful benefits to being young and being in a serious relationship. But for those of us who view relationships as purely supplemental, we want to live life on our terms only, at least during this period when selfishness is allowed to overrule.
Here are 20 reasons you should be your significant only in your early 20s:
- There's still a lot you don't know about, well, life, and nothing — and especially no one — should hinder any of your life decisions.
- It's easy to get wrapped up in your relationship, letting other opportunities pass you by. Remember when Lauren Conrad was the girl who didn't go to Paris?
- It's better to settle down later than too soon.
- This is one of the most exciting times of your life, and you should take full advantage!
- You can eat whatever you want for dinner whenever, without having to negotiate.
- Dating will help you learn what you want and don't want in a potential partner for when you are ready.
- You can focus on your career goals without having to consider how it's going to affect someone else. What if the job requires a ton of traveling?
- It's the best time to be selfish right now because responsibilities are just at their beginning.
- You don't have to worry about dealing with his or her parents, which can be double the pain if they don't like you.
- You can travel at your own will without having to coordinate with someone else's schedule.
- You can avoid any fights — pesky and all.
- You have more time and freedom to do whatever you please, which can help you discover and pursue your passions.
- You can take as much time as you want to shop without the whines and groans.
- You don't have to feel guilty about not spending enough time with each other.
- You'll be free of any distractions that would otherwise slow down your productivity. Ever had to go to work the next morning after a long and torturous fight?
- You don't have to worry about going out with your friends without him or her.
- You'll feel empowered knowing you can handle the toughest of situations on your own.
- You don't have to weigh anyone else's opinion but yours.
- There are so many people in your life who love and value you that a relationship might blind you to.
- Most importantly, being single allows you to fully focus on yourself and fosters the strength that no one else can teach you to have.