Got cake on the brain? Lucky for you, your craving can be satisfied in less than 10 minutes with the help of an unlikely piece of equipment: the microwave. Watch the video to see just how easy they are to make (you might even have all the ingredients on hand), and then experiment with fun mix-ins and toppings.
To make funfetti cake, fold about 1 tablespoon of rainbow sprinkles into the batter before cooking.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons self-rising flour
A pinch of salt
Whipped cream, frosting, and/or sprinkles, for topping (optional)
- Heat the butter in a small microwave-safe mixing bowl in 10 to 20 second increments, until melted.
- Add the egg and beat with a fork until smooth.
- Mix in the milk, vanilla, and sugar.
- Add the flour and salt, and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the batter between two mugs.
- Microwave each mug separately, for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until the cake has risen and is firm and springy to the touch. (It will not brown.)
- If you're topping it with whipped cream of frosting, allow to cool to room temperature, and frost and decorate with sprinkles (if using).
- Desserts, Cake
- 2 servings