Halloween How-To: Orange Is the New Black
One of this year's most talked-about TV series, Orange Is the New Black, also makes for some inspired Halloween costumes. You can go as one of the more distinctive characters like Red if you're flying solo, or you can gather a group of friends to each play one of Litchfield's denizens. Click through to get how-tos for everyone!
- What to wear: Orange prison garb and a white t-shirt underneath. No makeup.
- How to act: A little freaked out, with flashes of anger.
- What to wear: A bright red spiky wig, a chef's jacket, and glasses around your neck.
- How to act: Powerful. Speak in a Russian accent.
- What to wear: The tan prison jumpsuit, plus a black wig and perfectly drawn cat-eye liner. Add a pair of black plastic frame glasses that you habitually take off and wear on your head.
- How to act: Like you don't take crap from anybody.
- What to wear: A blue officer's shirt and black pants. Make your hair into a flattop, and wear a thick black mustache.
- How to act: Sketchy. Walk into the room like you own it and eyeball everyone until they're uncomfortable.
- What to wear: A long brown wig, plus some messed-up fake teeth. Zip a hoodie over your jumpsuit.
- How to act: Absolutely out of your mind. Threaten people often.
- What to wear: A curled brown wig and sharply drawn eyebrows, plus bright red lipstick. Wear a big jacket over your prison duds. For maximum crazy effect, top off the look with a wedding veil.
- How to act: Speak in a cute little voice and talk about your wedding plans.
- What to wear: A big red curly wig and smoky black eyeliner. Roll up your sleeves and wear a thermal underneath.
- How to act: Like you know everything.
- What to wear: Tie your hair into little knots on your head, and if you can cross your eyes, even better.
- How to act: Not as crazy as you might think; it's more about being overly friendly. Fixate on one person and smile at them relentlessly.
- What to wear: Wear your hair down, and fasten two blond curls into your 'do.
- How to act: Pretty sweet and personable; whip out some dance moves when the time is right.
- What to wear: A half blond, half brown wig. Wear a long-sleeved shirt under your beige top.
- How to act: Sassy, and if there are boys around, bat your eyes at them.
- What to wear: A blue correctional officer shirt and black pants. Add a walkie-talkie on your shoulder.
- How to act: Like you play by the rules . . . sometimes.
- What to wear: Prison garb with your hair very short.
- How to act: Cool but sweet. Learn some German phrases you can bust out for fun.
- What to wear: It's all about the beauty. Contrast your jumpsuit with flawless but bold makeup and a curled blowout.
- How to act: Like you've seen it all and heard it all.
- What to wear: A white tank top and a short, dark wig. Rock some sharpie tattoos.
- How to act: A little crass, but very friendly.
- What to wear: The orange jumpsuit and a curly wig. Carry a sock full of locks.
- How to act: Maternal at first, but then act very suspicious.
- What to wear: A long dark wig over your prison clothes.
- How to act: You can never shut up. Talk about anything — pop culture, prison, how lonely you are — just don't stop talking.
- What to wear: A brown prison jumpsuit and a short black 'do. Go crazy with the fake tattoos.
- How to act: Like the swaggiest inmate on the block. Speak with an Australian accent and wink a lot.
The New Guards
- What to wear: A blue correctional officer shirt and black pants, with a pair of handcuffs hanging from your belt loop. Make sure you make sure you get their facial hair (or lack thereof) right, and add a walkie-talkie on your shoulder.
- How to act: Basically like a soulless dictator.
- What to wear: A tan prison jumpsuit over a long-sleeved white shirt, a brown wig (tease the hair so it looks a little wild), and Blanca's signature unibrow.
- How to act: Blanca is a woman of few words, so pick yours thoughtfully.
- What to wear: A tan, short-sleeved prison jumpsuit over a white tank top, with a yellow hard hat, and red gloves.
- How to act: Annoyed and frustrated by literally everything around you.
- What to wear: Although Maritza is stuck in drab prison guard like everyone else, she tries to spice hers up a little bit with dramatic, winged eyeliner and soft waves in her dark hair.
- How to act: A little bit ditzy, and full of sass.
- What to wear: A tan jumpsuit, with a black wig pulled back into a ponytail.
- How to act: Tough, because you don't take crap from anyone.
- What to wear: A long-sleeved gray shirt underneath the tan prison outfit, as well as a shoulder-length red wig with bangs.
- How to act: Hopefully you can do a Southern accent, because Judy's twang is an important part of her charming, cheerful-but-with-an-edge personality.
- What to wear: A tan (or orange) prison uniform over a white t-shirt, with a very short white wig, and thick, black-rimmed glasses. Don't forget to put a few fake tattoos on your right arm!
- How to act: Very, very spacey, and a bit out-of-touch with reality. Lolly lives in her own world, so you should, too!