Lighten up your fries by swapping heavy potatoes with crunchy asparagus! Spears are tossed in cheesy nutritional yeast and almond meal for a dose of healthy fats and protein, via PaleoHacks.
Spring is in the air with this garden-fresh French fry alternative. No need to sacrifice flavor to achieve that much sought after fried texture. This asparagus is baked to crisp perfection with a crunchy coating; ready to eat in 20 minutes flat. Best of all, there are only six ingredients needed — making this a great snack or movie munchie to whip up in a cinch.
Asparagus is one of the best veggies to use since it's already thinly shaped, requiring little prep. Plus, it's a superfood loaded with antioxidants to help detoxify the liver! For the coating, almond meal adds healthy fats and fiber with a texture similar to breadcrumbs. And for the "cheesy" flavor, you'll be using dairy-free nutritional yeast.
Start by preheating your oven to 425ºF. Cut the tough ends of the asparagus and place the spears in a large mixing bowl. Pour a beaten egg over them and use your hands to coat. In a shallow dish or plate, combine the almond meal, nutritional yeast, and sea salt. You can also add herbs like dried basil, dill, or garlic at this time.
Tip: This dredge doubles as a simple Paleo coating for chicken breasts or fish.
Shake the excess egg off the asparagus and transfer to the almond meal mixture. Toss the veggies in the mixture until fully coated. Evenly spread the asparagus onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
Enjoy this recipe right out of the oven for maximum crispness, and don't forget the Paleo ranch dressing for dipping!
- 1 pound asparagus spears, ends cut off
- 1 large pasture-raised egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Place the asparagus spears in a large mixing bowl. Pour the beaten egg over the asparagus and use your hands to coat.
- Combine the almond meal, nutritional yeast, and sea salt in a shallow dish or plate.
- Shake the excess egg off the asparagus and toss in the almond meal mixture, using your hands to coat the spears.
- Evenly spread the asparagus onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light golden brown. Serve hot.
- Side Dishes, Greens
- 4 servings
- Cook Time
- 17 minutes