The avocado toast obsession looks like it's here to stay (thank God), but for those of you who are gluten free or Paleo, it might feel like you're missing out. No more! Lexi's Clean Kitchen created this tasty, grain-free alternative with sweet potato "buns" in lieu of bread. Delicious sweet potatoes, meet avocado spread. It's a match made in heaven, and we think the breakfast game has been changed for good.
- For the "buns":
1 large sweet potato, sliced crosswise into 1-inch-thick rounds
1 tablespoon avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the avocado spread:
2 tablespoons avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Pinch of fine sea salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
Optional: Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Topping ideas:
Chopped crispy bacon
Roughly-chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
Balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar
Red pepper flakes
Coarse sea salt
For the "buns":
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Toss the sweet potato rounds with the oil and salt. Lay the "buns" on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, then flip over and bake for another 20 minutes, until tender and golden brown. Let cool slightly before using.
For the spread:
- Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for three to five minutes, until fragrant and translucent.
- Season the shallot mixture with the cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper and mix to combine. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Peel and pit avocados, then mash the flesh in a large bowl. Add the cooled shallot mixture, along with the lemon juice and red pepper flakes, if using, and mix well to combine. Taste and add additional lemon juice, cumin, salt, and/or black or red pepper, if desired.
- Serve immediately on the toasted bread or sweet potato "buns," with the desired toppings.
- North American
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds