Create a rich, creamy, pumpkiny custard for the holidays with this protein-packed recipe — it's every bit as smooth, sweet, and delicious as it is healthy!
With the rise in popularity of muscle-building and joint-nourishing collagen, more people than ever are adding collagen powder to recipes to up the nutritional value and give more thickness to foods like custards and smoothies. And it's even easier to digest than gelatin, giving you one more reason to add it to your kitchen's arsenal.
Adding in a nutrition-packed punch to your dessert is such a sneaky — and indulgent — way to do some good for your body, and we're loving this dairy-free, holiday-inspired rendition of a classic Italian treat.
This recipe calls for collagen powder, an easier-to-digest, protein-rich alternative to gelatin. You can find collagen in natural markets, supplement stores, or online.
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch of cloves
1/2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons Vital Proteins Collagen Proteins
- Carefully open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the separated cream from the top (the amount will vary from can to can but should be about 1/2 cup). Place the coconut cream in a mixing bowl and put the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Pour the remaining coconut milk in a medium saucepan along with the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and sea salt. Whisk well to combine and place the saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the mixture feels warm to the touch. Sprinkle in the collagen proteins and whisk well. Continue to whisk for another 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the proteins. Turn the heat off and pour the mixture into 2 small glass cups. Move the cups to the refrigerator and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until the mixture gels and becomes firm.
- Before serving, remove the bowl with coconut cream from the refrigerator and beat with a mixer on high speed about 1 to 2 minutes, or until fluffy. Top the pumpkin panna cotta with the whipped coconut cream and serve immediately.
- Desserts, Puddings/Mousse
- North American
- 2 servings