Even if you've decided to cut back on dairy, it's possible to warm up with a creamy bowl of hot soup that doesn't lay on the cream or calories too heavily. This light pumpkin-coconut bisque will curb your dairy cravings and keep you on track this Fall.
The ingredient that really makes this subtle soup stand out is the unsweetened coconut milk. Both vegan- and Paleo-friendly, this ingredient thickens things up, leaving you with the perfect (seemingly rich) texture.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups solid-pack pumpkin, canned
- 2 cups low-salt vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Pepitas, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth, sugar, allspice, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pot. Bring the soup to a simmer, thinning with coconut milk to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the pepita seeds, drizzle with a teaspoon of coconut milk, and serve.
Source: Calorie Count
- North American
- Serves six
- Calories per serving