I'm grateful for San Francisco's February temperatures, but I'm no stranger to freezing weather. After spending four years in Ann, Arbor, MI, I understand the necessity of a warm and satisfying dinner on a cold and snowy night. Very often, I would turn to unhealthy (and yes, delicious) Chinese food when comfort-food cravings struck, and every year, I packed on the Winter weight to prove it.
If you can relate and are looking to lighten things up, try cooking up this veggie-packed dish where prepackaged broccoli slaw stands in for traditional rice or noodles. High in fiber, protein, and vitamin C, this 345-calorie nutrient-rich stir-fry can be prepped, cooked, and served in just 15 minutes. It might not taste exactly like my favorite dish from China Gate, but cutting back dramatically on carbs, sugar, sodium, and calories makes it a delicious meal I can enjoy all the time — without the extra side of guilt.
- For the stir-fry sauce:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated with microplane
- For the broccoli slaw stir-fry:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup baked or braised tofu (I used Hodo Soy brand)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli slaw (I used one bag of Trader Joe's)
- Sesame seeds, to garnish
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and fresh ginger in a small bowl. Mix well and refrigerate.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the red peppers and zucchini, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, tofu, and garlic, and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring well to make sure the garlic doesn't burn.
- Add the broccoli slaw to the skillet, pour the soy-ginger sauce into the skillet, and stir to combine all the vegetables into the slaw. Continue stirring for about 4 minutes, or until the broccoli slaw starts to soften.
- Serve with sesame seeds and enjoy.
Source: Calorie Count
- Main Dishes
- North American
- Serves 2
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
- Calories per serving