There's no need to banish bread from your diet — no matter what you've heard, carbs are not your enemy — but you may want to follow these dietitian-approved guidelines in order to ensure you're buying the healthiest breads possible. When shopping for bread, look beyond claims like "7-grain," "sprouted," or "multigrain." Many loaves sound healthy when in fact they're not much more than enriched white flour. To ensure you're getting adequate fiber and other essential nutrients, you'll need to read those labels.
Fiber is especially important when looking for healthy breads to add to your diet. Foods that are high in fiber — such as fruits, vegetables, and legumes — help slow digestion and keep you fuller longer, which can actually result in you eating fewer calories. If you're looking to maximize your fiber intake while eating less virtuous ingredients like sugar, you can't go wrong with any of the breads listed here.
Healthiest Breads: What to Look For
Look for breads that are made of whole grains and contain:
- No more than 110 calories per serving
- At least two grams of fiber
- No more than four grams (one teaspoon) of sugar
- Three or more grams of protein
- Zero grams of saturated fat
Healthiest Breads to Eat
Here are five breads that meet this criteria. Look for them on the shelves of your local grocery store.
- Dave's Killer Bread Thin-Sliced 21 Whole Grains and Seeds: With lots of great taste and texture, this slice is one of the healthiest you can buy.
Per slice: 70 calories, 1 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 13 g carbs, 3 g sugar, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein
- Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread: Fiber- and nutrient-rich sprouted grains, lentils, and soybeans make this a best bet.
Per slice: 80 calories, 0.5 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 15 g carbs, 0 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein
- Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat: Each of these wholesome slices will provide the foundation for a healthier sandwich.
Per slice: 110 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 21 g carbs, 3 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein
- The Baker 9-Grain Bread: This substantial slice is made from a variety of wholesome grains to provide a great taste and texture, like whole wheat, rye, oats, spelt millet, and more.
Per slice: 110 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 20 g carbs, 0 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein
- Roman Meal 100% Whole Wheat: A whole-grain-packed slice that will help crush your cravings.
Per slice: 110 calories, 1.5 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 20 g carbs, 0 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein