Simone De La Rue is in absolutely incredible shape. The petite 42-year-old former Broadway dancer and Revenge Body star could easily be mistaken for a 20-something. She lives an exceptionally active lifestyle, with dance cardio as her workout of choice. When she's not shooting her dance cardio DVD or a Class FitSugar video, she's training celebrity clients privately at her studios, Body by Simone.
But we're sure you know that abs like those are made in the kitchen — we've said before that you can't exercise away a bad diet! Simone eats clean, and she eats strategically. She often gives advice to her clients based on her experience, so we got a little insight into her best diet advice and her favorite healthy foods.
"Eat as much fresh food as you can," Simone said when describing what's in her refrigerator. She stays away from most processed foods and keeps her diet wholesome. Here are some of her mainstays.
- Protein Shakes and Smoothies: Simone told POPSUGAR that after working out so much, "sometimes it's hard to eat a whole meal." In these cases, she's a "big fan of a protein smoothie or shake," since it's a little "easier to digest." She recommends having "half before a class and half after."
- Hard-boiled eggs: "I always say to my clients, 'be prepared,'" she told us when she recommended boiling "a whole lot of eggs" at once to have snacks at the ready. Simone emphasized getting enough protein and recommended eggs as a protein-packed snack. "Take one in a Ziploc bag — it really is that simple."
- Chicken breast: For more protein throughout your week and in many meals, she recommends "buy it in bulk, cook it all up, and have it in the fridge so you can grab it for meals."
- Arugula: What goes great with chicken? An arugula side salad.
"Before you work out, you should have a protein and carbohydrate to fuel you and give you energy," she said. She recommends eating these an hour before you work out.
- Poached egg on toast
- Granola with yogurt
- Eggs with bacon or sausages and sweet potato
Don't forget the post-workout protein to replenish your muscles! "Within an hour after the workout, you want to have protein," she said.
- Salmon tacos in lettuce leaves
- Chicken vegetable stir-fry
- An egg and a smoothie