I first stumbled upon this keto-friendly "breadstick" recipe from Instrupix while scrolling through Pinterest. I wanted a cheesy dish that would be quick and easy to make, while still allowing me to stay in ketosis, and this one fit the bill. It requires just four ingredients: two types of cheese, an egg, and garlic powder. Even better? It comes together in less than 20 minutes.
When I first made this garlicky cheese "bread," I recorded the process and shared it on TikTok. I had no idea that the video would reach more than a million views, but I also wasn't surprised. This is one of those low-carb recipes that actually tastes like the real thing. And, although the recipe doesn't have a flour base, the cheese mixture forms a texture that's about as close to bread as fathead dough, a dough alternative made with almond meal, cheese, and eggs that's popular in the keto community.
A few things to know before trying to make the recipe yourself: The cheese quality matters, of course — meaning, you should try to use freshly grated parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. However, the first time I cooked this I created it with the cheapest ingredients I could find, so you don't need to bust your budget to make this a successful dish.
I've also made the recipe with one egg and with two. I prefer one egg, although some people on TikTok have shared that two eggs makes the bread more moist. I suggest trying it with one egg first (that's what the original recipe calls for), then when you remake it — and I'm certain you will — you can try two eggs to see which you prefer. Keep reading for the recipe!
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. A loaf pan is best, but a baking sheet can also work.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients together.
- Place the mixture onto your parchment paper, and flatten it out using a fork or your hands. If you don't have parchment paper, you can also use aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, and then switch the oven to broil and brown the cheese a bit.
- Slice and serve with your choice of dipping sauce. (I like Rao's pizza sauce.)
- Side Dishes
- Serves 4
- Prep Time
- 5 mins
- Cook Time
- 12 mins
- Total Time
- 16 minutes, 59 seconds