A big bowl of steaming pasta is serious comfort food. That's why we partnered with Johnsonville for this post.
I love any recipe that simplifies a dish — especially one that tastes like you slaved away over it for hours. This creamy dish is studded with kale and flavorful Italian sausage, which equals delicious comfort food. Topped with crumbly breadcrumbs and shredded parmesan cheese, it's a forkful of delish.
It starts with Italian sausage, simmered until it has just browned. This makes the base for the entire dish — and it's a good one.
Use the smoky bits for seasoning onions, which cook down in a touch of chicken stock. And more garlic always makes anything better.
But the final touch is a drizzle of cream, which adds the right amount of richness to the bite of kale and Italian sausage. You just can't go wrong.
- 1 pound thick spaghetti
1 package Mild Johnsonville Italian Sausage
1 onion, sliced
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup whole milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Fill a large stockpot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and add to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break up the chucks of sausage, stirring until browned.
- Remove the Italian sausage from the pan and add the onions and 1/4 cup of the chicken stock. Let the onions simmer for around 5 minutes or until they're soft and slightly caramelized, then add the garlic.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir to incorporate. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the milk and remaining stock, stirring the sauce. Bring to a simmer, then add the kale.
- Once the pasta is al dente, drain and add to the sauce. Add in the cream and stir to coat.
- To make the breadcrumbs, add the butter to a small pan and add the breadcrumbs. Stir over medium heat until the bread just starts to toast. Remove from heat.
- Scoop into large bowls, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, then serve.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- North American
- 8 servings
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds