When I tried Treat House's matzo marshmallow treats, it was a revelation. The bland, crunchy matzo crackers are the perfect stand-in for puffed rice cereal. Either keep the matzo mallow treats plain or jazz them up a little by dipping them in chocolate and finishing them with a little flake salt. You can also fold toasted coconut into the treats for a macaroon-inspired treat. Even freeze-dried fruit could make an inspired addition. Is your mouth watering yet?
I recommend using a nonstick pan for easier cleanup. I used a nonstick wok. The wide shape of the wok made it really easy to quickly stir in the cereal and transfer to the casserole dish.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter or margarine, plus more for greasing
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (10-ounce) packages Dandies marshmallows (or other kosher marshmallow)
5 ounces matzos, crushed slightly
Flake salt, to garnish
- In a microwave-safe bowl, cook butter, salt, and marshmallows together in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until fully melted. Alternatively, in a large nonstick saucepan or wok, melt butter and salt over low heat. Add marshmallows, and stir occasionally until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add matzo. Quickly stir until matzo is well coated.
- Pour and press into casserole dish until evenly distributed. Liberally garnish with flake salt. Cool for about 30 minutes. Cut into squares. Best if served the same day. Otherwise, store in an airtight container or plastic wrap for up to two days.
- 8 large marshmallow treats