Equally appropriate as a snack or a party appetizer, these za'atar- and cumin-spiced roasted chickpeas are a versatile nibble you'll make time and time again. Additionally, they're an excellent garnish for soups and salads, come together with minimal effort, are easy to transport, and are just plain delicious.
If this seems like a lot of praise, don't be put off. Even if you find they're not your cup of tea, you'll be out a mere few dollars (chickpeas are cheap!) aside from the initial purchase of tangy herbal za'atar and earthy cumin seeds (use your extra za'atar in this sweet potato soup that's swirled with za'atar oil).
Not feeling the Mediterranean flavor profile? Think of this recipe as more of a blueprint than a set-in-stone prescription — feel free to sub out spice blends as you please. The proportions listed below are intended as a mere jumping-off point.
If you don't like the texture of chickpeas' papery skins, peel them by gently rubbing their skins off with your fingertips. Make certain that the chickpeas are thoroughly dried before tossing with the olive oil and spices; after rinsing spread them out on a dishtowel or paper towels, and let sit until dry. Za'atar can be found in the spice section of many supermarkets.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons za'atar
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, and thoroughly dried (peeling optional)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- A pinch cayenne pepper
- 3/4-1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Toast the za'atar and cumin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until their aroma becomes pronounced and they begin to brown slightly. Transfer the spices to a spice grinder, and pulse until powdery.
- Toss together the spices, chickpeas, olive oil, cayenne, salt, and sugar in a large bowl until the chickpeas are evenly coated. Spread the chickpeas out in a single layer on a half-sheet pan and roast for 25-35 minutes, or until golden-brown and crunchy.
- Other, Snacks
- North American
- Makes about 1-3/4 cups roasted chickpeas