If you're looking for a sweet way to survive the Summer heat, look no further than this icy dessert from Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee ($15). The watermelon lime granita only has a couple simple ingredients and can be frozen in no time!
What this recipe demands in passive time, it makes up for in simplicity. We find a 9 × 13-inch pan works best for this — it gives you a little slosh room getting into the freezer. With a steady hand, a smaller pan would work just fine. If you want to make this a grownup dessert, vodka or tequila is a superb addition.
- 1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
2 limes, juice and zest
1 small watermelon
- Warm the sugar, water, and lime juice in a saucepan at a gentle simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken just slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let syrup cool.
- While the syrup is cooling, cut your watermelon into chunks, discarding the rind and any seeds.
- Blend the watermelon chunks in a blender until smooth. You should have about 3 cups. Add the cooled syrup and lime zest to the watermelon.
- Transfer to a 9 × 13-inch baking dish. Place the dish ever so carefully in the freezer. If you can’t fit a 9 × 13-inch dish in your freezer, a loaf pan or a 9 × 9-inch dish will work as well.
- Check in on your granitas every half hour or so. Give it a quick scrape over with a fork so it doesn't freeze solid and develops a nice, fluffy texture.
- Desserts, Frozen
- North American
- 4 to 6 servings