Nothing screams fall quite like a homemade apple pie — but let's face it, baking cookies is usually a much easier feat. That's where these apple pie cookies come into play. Originally shared on TikTok by creator Bridget Lucille, this trending recipe gives you all the vibes and taste of the classic dessert but doesn't require nearly as much time and effort. Best of all, it'll still fill your entire house with that unmistakable aroma of spiced apples. (Not to mention, the end results are quite cute.)
Unlike most apple pie cookies, this version doesn't rely on simply mixing cookie dough with apple pie spice to re-create the flavor. Instead, it calls for actual pie dough and apple pie filling. To transform these ingredients into apple pie cookies, all you need to do is spread the filling on the rolled-out dough and top it with a lattice. Then, much like you would with shortbread or sugar cookies, you simply cut out rounds from the dough using a cookie cutter. The result is a batch of cookies that taste as close to real apple pie as you can get without dirtying a pie dish. Another perk? Since apple pie cookies have a thinner layer of filling compared to a pie, they end up having a much shorter baking time.
They might look fancy, but overall, it's hard to mess these cookies up. The filling is cooked beforehand, so you won't have to worry about any soggy pie crust. The hardest part will probably be the lattice, but if you can master the over-under pattern, you're golden.
Find all the details on how to make these foolproof apple pie cookies ahead.
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
3 baking apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup water
- For the topping:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and dice the apples, then toss with the lemon juice.
- Whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and water in a pan until combined. Bring to a boil and continue whisking for two minutes while folding in the apples.
- Once the apples are coated in the mixture, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take the apples off the heat and let them cool completely.
- Unroll both pie crusts. Spread the apple filling evenly on top of one of the pie crusts.
- Slice the second pie crust into thin strips and layer them over the filling, weaving them over and under each other to create a lattice.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut out individual cookies using a cookie cutter or mason jar lid, and arrange the cookies across the top of the parchment, evenly spread out.
- Brush the tops of each cookie with the beaten egg and sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake in the 350-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the lattice is golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
- Desserts, Cookies
- 8 cookies
- Total Time
- 19 minutes, 59 seconds