In the final episodes of her new HBO Max at-home cooking show, Selena + Chef, Selena Gomez reached out to professional chef and restaurateur Tanya Holland for a little help in the kitchen. On their menu: Tanya's legendary buttermilk fried chicken. Like me, Selena is admittedly no cooking expert, so I figured if Selena can do it, then so can I! Now I don't know about you, but when I think of fried chicken, it doesn't usually fall under the healthy category. However, rather than marinating the chicken in a fatty sauce or rub, Tanya's recipe relies heavily on herbs and seasonings — there's nine (!) of them.
The fried chicken is packed with flavor, and you can enjoy a piece or two without feeling too stuffed. For a lil' health kick, enjoy a light salad or vegetable medley on the side. Although, I can only imagine how delicious mac and cheese or buttermilk biscuits would taste alongside this Southern dish! Get the full recipe ahead.
- 3 1/2 pound chicken
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped parsley
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- Cut chicken into eight pieces.
- Place chicken pieces into a baking dish for marinating.
- In a small bowl, combine tarragon, onion powder, sweet paprika, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, and garlic powder. Then add 1 tablespoon black pepper, oregano, thyme, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix over chicken, covering every inch. Rub it in so your chicken is saturated in the seasoning. Add parsley, then pour buttermilk; refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Pour 3/4-inch vegetable oil into a deep pan on medium-high heat.
- On a baking tray or large dish, pour 2-3 cups flour with rest of salt and pepper. Remove seasoned chicken from fridge and dredge in flour mixture.
- Once oil reaches 350°F, use tongs to drop chicken into oil. Fry until lightly brown. Be careful as to not crowd chicken in the oil, about 2 pieces at a time.
- Place chicken in a new baking tray or dish and bake until chicken reaches 165°F. If it starts to sizzle, it's probably ready.
- Enjoy with your choice of sides or as is!
- Main Dishes
- 8 pieces
- Prep Time
- 12 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 11 minutes, 59 seconds