This Year's Snow Moon Gives You an Excuse to Hibernate
If you follow the moon cycles and live by the stars, you may already know that each month's full moon has a different meaning for your life. February might bring short, dark days and a lot of cold weather for some parts of the world, but this February can also bring a renewed energy into your life thanks to the snow moon.
"As a hallmark of the winter season, the snow moon typically occurs right around the time when we are expected to experience more snow than usual," astrologer Liz Simmons says. Something to keep an eye on during this full-moon cycle is its square to Uranus in Taurus. "We can count on radical twists in the weather whenever Uranus is involved," Simmons adds. "There could be an unexpected winter storm, unusual temperatures, or even a snowy miracle in an unexpected place during the snow moon."
Following the snow moon, we may feel elated for the remainder of February, Simmons says. "The snow moon will be our cosmic cue to focus on what sparks joy, so this will set the tone for the rest of the month and act as a subliminal reinforcer to choose happiness."
The 2023 snow moon — which you can see in the first week of February — signals something different for each zodiac sign. Keep reading to learn more about what the February full moon means for you.
Why Is It Called the Snow Moon?
Like many of the full moons throughout the year, the snow moon is named for what's currently happening — and February is snowy! According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, in the 1760s, a captain named Jonathan Carver wrote that the name was used "because more snow commonly falls during this month than any other in the winter."
When Is the Full Snow Moon in 2023?
The snow moon will be at its peak on Sunday, Feb. 5, 2023, at 1:29 p.m. ET.
What Sign Is the Snow Moon in February?
The February 2023 snow moon falls in the sign of Leo. Full moons in Leo are known to be warm-hearted and generous. "Our inner fires will be stoked as the full moon in Leo encourages us to reflect on what has brought us joy, passion, and happiness over the last six months," Simmons says. "Collective positivity will be boosted by this full moon, so we may feel inspired to share the love. Although the winter sky is cool, this fiery full moon will remind us to embrace our inner spark!"
What Is the Spiritual Meaning of the Snow Moon?
The snow moon occurs around the snowiest time of the year. "So, when we think about it in a spiritual context, the snow moon may be our cosmic cue to take a step back and reflect on our state of hibernation," Simmons says. "Now is not the time to plant or begin anything new. Instead, the snow moon is the time to turn within to reflect."
"The snow moon is full of staggering spiritual revelation and purpose," adds astrologer Rebecca Moore of We Love Horoscope. "It signifies renewal in the spirit. The snow moon gives people a chance to reset and reevaluate. It's about new dreams and overcoming past hurts, forging forward with greater sense of purpose."
What Does the Snow Moon Mean For Zodiac Signs?
- Aries: This snow moon will bring a six-month cycle of romance, self-expression, and pleasure to a close for you, Aries. "The snow moon may highlight an incredible period of self-growth through exploring hobbies, pastimes, and other creative ventures," Simmons explains. "Aries may also notice a difference in love and sex, especially if there is a relationship in the works! Either way, Aries should focus on who and what sparks joy during the snow moon."
- Taurus: The last six months may have felt like hibernation for Taurus, so the snow moon will mark the end of an introspective period. "Taurus may have created a sacred space to retreat to during this cycle or could have explored their family history," Simmons says. "Creating their own family or establishing a home base may have also coincided with this lunar cycle. Taurus should reflect on what will help them feel secure physically and emotionally during the snow moon since this can create a foundation for Taurus's life."
- Gemini: "As the snow moon comes to fruition, Gemini might be thinking about their communal and communicative involvement from the past six months," Simmons says. "New friend groups and local hangouts could have become a staple in Gemini's everyday life during this cycle. Past comments or chats may also be on Gemini's mind." Consider the snow moon the perfect time to commit to a local community while letting go of any past drama.
- Cancer: Money matters will be the theme for Cancer's snow-moon experience. "Security, stability, and value will be the main priorities since Cancer will be wrapping up a financially focused cycle," Simmons says. "If it feels right, Cancer could use the snow moon to capitalize on financial opportunities while letting go of poor money habits that shake up Cancer's security."
- Leo: The snow moon will mark the end of a self-focused cycle for Leo. "In true Leo fashion, this snow moon really is all about Leo," Simmons says. "Leo should reflect on how they have become more genuinely comfortable with their identity and the skin they're in over the last six months. Aside from this, Leo can also use the snow moon to let go of insecurities, self-doubt, and bravado."
- Virgo: Virgo will have an incredibly reflective, if introverted, experience during the snow moon. "The snow moon will call Virgo to look inward since the last six months have been more subconsciously focused on reframing Virgo's mindset to be more positive despite not having all of the answers," Simmons says. "As the snow moon rises, Virgo can challenge themselves to look on the bright side!"
- Libra: People's true colors will be revealed during the snow moon, especially for Libra. "Libra's friendships and the greater community will be in focus since the snow moon will shine a light on genuine friends as well as fake connections," Simmons says. "The snow moon is Libra's reminder that life isn't a popularity contest, so Libra should let go of any unfulfilling relationships."
- Scorpio: "The question of accomplishment will be on Scorpio's mind during the snow moon," Simmons says. "Where Scorpio started versus how far they've come during this cycle will come up, especially if the snow moon results in completing a major milestone. Regardless, Scorpio should focus on their achievements to boost their confidence during the lunation."
- Sagittarius: During this February full moon, Sagittarius might be pondering the silver lining of the last six months. "Opportunities to travel, learn, explore, and grow popped up during this cycle," Simmons says. "Sagittarius may have had some incredible changes to progress in their journey, so the snow moon is the reminder to enjoy the journey instead of racing toward their destination."
- Capricorn: The snow moon will be Capricorn's reminder that they have the power to make their life whatever they want. "Over the past six months, Capricorn may have struggled to regain control of their relationships, finances, and with themselves," Simmons says. "But Capricorn has persevered through it all, so the snow moon will be Capricorn's celebration for making the most of this transformative cycle."
- Aquarius: Aquarius isn't one to readily commit, but the snow moon may encourage otherwise. "Although Aquarius prefers to be detached and aloof, the snow moon will bring Aquarius's much-loved connections into consideration," Simmons says. "The snow moon is the perfect time for Aquarius to reconnect with their partner, colleagues, friends, and more."
- Pisces: "As the snow moon rises, Pisces should think about what they need to incorporate into their daily regime to feel happy and confident," Simmons says. "The last six months have been a period of trial and error. But now that the cycle is closing during the snow moon, Pisces should commit to the habits and routine that amplify a positive vibe."
When Is the Next Snow Moon?
The 2024 snow moon will peak on Feb. 24. The full moon following the 2023 snow moon is March's worm moon, which peaks on Mar 7.
— Additional reporting by Melanie Whyte