It's inevitable; stuff spills or you track in mud by mistake on a rainy afternoon. Just the other day, my husband left a dirty footprint on the carpet. When this happens at your house, don't get mad (well, maybe just a little bit) or run to the store for expensive cleaning concoctions. Simply become a carpet cleaner mixologist and open your pantry. Not only does this homemade carpet cleaner cost pennies to make, but also, it does wonders spot-cleaning furniture, erasing stains from rugs, and touching up soiled drapes. Not all carpets are the same, so make sure to do a small spot check before tackling big stains.
What You'll Need:
- Small spray bottle
- 1 teaspoon dish washing liquid
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Clean absorbent towel
- Clean sponge
- Gather the ingredients to make your carpet cleaner. Along with being an amazing concoction, vinegar and baking soda put on quite a show when mixed. Vinegar is an acid, and baking soda is a base, so when the two mix together, they create carbon dioxide, which results in lots and lots of cleaning bubbles. Add the dishwashing liquid to the spray bottle along with vinegar, and then top with the warm water. Working over a sink, with the top of the spray bottle close at hand, add the baking soda, and then quickly screw on the top of the spray bottle.
- Vacuum over the area and then wipe gently with the abrasive side of a sponge.
- Spray the soiled area generously with the carpet cleaner, and then gently rub and dab with the towel. You should start to see cleaning results right away.
- Continue dabbing and wiping with the towel to absorb the water and completely remove the stain.
Want more? Here's a collection of DIY cleaning products that won't break the bank!