We've got bad news for Apple fanboys/girls. Apple Insider reports that the big iPhone, a 5.5-inch device, is facing major production issues. That means we may have to wait until 2015 for the new phone. The good news? The announcement will most likely take place Sept. 9.
The next iPhone was expected to come in two sizes, a smaller 4.7-inch version and a larger 5.5-inch version, in the Fall. But it looks like we'll only get the "smaller" 4.7-inch model (still bigger than the current 4-inch size) this year. Apple users have been waiting for a device with a bigger, roomier display akin to the 5.1-inch Samsung Galaxy S5.
What else should you expect from the next-generation iOS smartphone? Probably something a lot like the iPhone 6 concept below, by Behance user Edgar Rios. It's rumored to have slightly thinner hardware and a larger, wider screen. Read on for all of the iPhone 6 speculation around the web!
- About that bigger screen — 9to5 Mac spotted leaked photos from an iPhone 6 production plant that show an iPhone 4S next to the new mold, which is about 4.7 inches, about the same size as the iPhone 5S. This means that the screen, if larger, would bleed all the way to the edge like in the above concept design.
- Flexible display — The new iPhone screen could be superbendy, according to a leak by Apple blogger Sonny Dickson, which means you'd never have to worry about a cracked display. It would be virtually shatterproof!
- The actual dimensions — A blog called Nowhereelse.fr published pictures of case mockups for the new phones. According to the blog, the iPhone 6 will measure 4.7 inches in diagonal and a larger iPhone 6S that will measure 5.5 inches.
- A sharper screen — The iPhone 6 could ship with a larger, sharper 1704 x 960 display, according to 9to5 Mac. The iPhone 5S is currently 1136 x 640 resolution.
- Thinner — Leaked photos from a supposed Foxconn plant made their way onto Weibo, China's version of Twitter. The images show a much thinner aluminum-looking chassis that wraps around a rounded edge, similar to the design of the iPod Touch.
- Two sizes — The Wall Street Journal reported that the new iPhone will be available in two sizes: one with a 4.5-inch screen and a larger version with a 5-inch display. Will the smaller size be called the iPhone Mini or the iPhone 6C? If this report is accurate, the plastic backing of the current iPhone 5C will be replaced by metal casing.
- iOS 8 — A new operating system may ship with the new phone. An iOS app codenamed Healthbook, a fitness-focused app, surfaced earlier this year, and many believe that the new app will ship with iOS 8. 9to5Mac claims that the new mobile OS will bring split-screen multitasking to the iPad at last!
- Reversible USB Cable — Yep! Finally a USB plug that plugs in on the first try.
Source: Behance user Edgar Rios