If you're in love with spinach dip, the same can't be said for the appetizer's calorie count, which can clock in at 280 calories for a quarter-cup (four-tablespoon) serving. At your next holiday party, please taste buds and diet plans alike by swapping the calorie-busting spinach dip with this kale ricotta dip. It tastes almost as creamy and just as delicious — seriously, you'll be surprised. And at only 24 calories per quarter-cup serving (not to mention a good dose of vitamin A), it's practically guilt-free. Serve with sliced veggies or baked pita chips and save even more calories!
If you don't have a food processor, a blender works fine. Just make sure you slice the kale leaves into smaller pieces and take care to remove the tough ribs for easier blending.
- 1 bunch green kale, stems and tough ribs stripped out and discarded, leaves sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon zest to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine kale, onion, garlic and 1/4 cup water. Set over medium heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 12 minutes; add more water a tablespoon at a time if the pan dries out.
- Transfer vegetables and any liquid in the pan to a food processor or blender and let cool a few minutes. Add ricotta, parmesan, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper flakes. Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Source: Calorie Count
- Dips, Appetizers
- North American
- 6 to 8 servings
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
- Calories per serving