The scent of cinnamon rolls baking fills my entire body with joy and anticipation. They were a childhood breakfast treat. Unfortunately, my adult stomach often aches from eating all that sweetness for a morning meal, and the sugar crash that follows is also kind of ugly.
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm (not hot) water
1/4 cup vegan butter (like Earth Balance), melted and cooled
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- Cinnamon Filling
1 cup pitted dates
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons vegan butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Maple Glaze
3/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for 30 to 40 minutes until completely soft. Once cool enough to handle, remove skins and puree flesh in a food processor until completely smooth. Measure 1 cup puree. (Any leftover puree can be frozen for future use — like a savory side dish.)
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in a small bowl and set aside. Combine flours in a medium bowl and whisk together. Place sweet potato puree, vegan butter, maple syrup, salt, and yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix until combined, scraping and stirring with a rubber spatula if necessary. With mixer running on low speed (2), add 2 cups flour and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Add additional flour, a little at a time, until dough is not sticky to the touch and forms a single ball and releases from sides of bowl. Continue to mix for another 2 minutes, then transfer dough to a medium bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour, until dough has doubled in bulk.
- While dough is rising, make the cinnamon filling. Place dates, vegan butter, 2 tablespoons hot water, and cinnamon in a food processor and process on high until smooth. Add additional water if necessary to get a spreadable consistency.
- Remove dough from bowl and roll out on parchment or a floured surface to a rectangle approximately 16x6 inches. Spread cinnamon filling in an even layer, all the way to the edges, and roll up dough lengthwise to form a 16-inch roll. Trim and discard ends. Cut dough in half, then quarters, then each quarter into thirds, for a total of 12 slices. Coat a muffin tin in nonstick cooking spray, and place one spiral into each cup. Place in a warm spot to rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Once rolls have risen, bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- While the rolls cook, make the maple glaze in a small bowl: whisk together arrowroot, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Allow rolls to cool to the touch, and drizzle with maple glaze. Enjoy!
Watch this quick video to see how these cinnamon rolls are made.
- North American
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 59 minutes, 59 seconds