Decadent. Delicious. Rich. Boozy. These are just a few of the words that popped into my head upon laying eyes on this indulgent recipe for coffee ice cream topped with Kahlúa fudge and maple coconut flakes. Yes, that's a real thing, and something tells me this dessert is dangerously delicious. Is anyone else already making space in the freezer?
While the dessert does contain a few surprising ingredients (salt, pepper, and . . . soy sauce?), the easy-to-make recipe does have one huge perk. Instead of using an ice cream maker like most recipes, the entire dish can be made with an electric whisk or stand mixer in just 10 minutes (minus chilling time, of course). It's "the EASIEST ice cream you will ever make. I'm telling you — no base, no churn, no stir, no problem," Ixta Belfrage captioned her Instagram post sharing her recipe for the extravagant ice cream. Keep reading to find out how to make this tasty frozen treat for yourself at home ahead.
- For the Ice Cream:
1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee powder (not granules)
1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 1/2 tablespoons filter coffee grounds
2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
2 egg whites (use good quality as they will stay raw)
90 milliliters maple syrup
300 milliliters double cream
A good pinch of sea salt
- For the Kahlúa Fudge Sauce:
90 grams tahini (mix very well before using, to combine the solids and fat)
40 milliliters maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
60 milliliters Kahlúa or another coffee liqueur
- For the Coconut Flakes:
80 grams dried coconut flakes
2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
1 teaspoon filter coffee grounds
A good grind of cracked black pepper
- Using an electric whisk or stand mixer, whip together all of the ice cream ingredients on medium-high speed for 2 1/2 minutes to form medium-soft peaks.
- Transfer the smooth mixture to a wide container and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Seal the container with a lid or plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- For the fudge sauce, use an electric whisk or stand mixer to whisk together all the ingredients until they're smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and swirl in two thirds of the fudge sauce to form marbled streaks.
- Replace the seal and return the ice cream to the freezer to let it set for two to three hours.
- While the ice cream is chilling, preheat the oven to 320° Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the coconut flakes so they are fully coated.
- Spread the coconut flakes out on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until they are crisp and have turned deeply golden-brown.
- Once the ice cream has fully set, serve it with extra fudge sauce and a sprinkle of coconut flakes. Enjoy!
- Desserts, Ice cream
- Prep Time
- 2 hours 35 minutes
- Cook Time
- 17 minutes
- Total Time
- 2 hours, 51 minutes, 59 seconds