Spiced Cranberry Apple Hot Toddy Recipe
This Spiced Cranberry Apple Hot Toddy Tastes Just Like the Winter Holidays
The fall and winter months are primetime for cozy and delicious drinks. And while you can't go wrong with a simple cup of tea or coffee, there's something extra special about hot toddies. Take this spiced cranberry apple hot toddy, for example. It features a blend of cranberry juice and apple cider infused with seasonal spices (think: clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon), along with a bit of sweetener. The mixture is then heated until warm, creating a wonderfully comforting drink that's perfect for the holidays.
From there, you can add gold rum, dark rum, or bourbon, depending on your preference. You can also turn it into a mocktail by replacing the alcohol with more apple cider. Either way, this drink will surely hit the spot on chilly nights. Cheers!
Spiced Cranberry Apple Hot Toddy
Feel free to adjust the spices according to your liking. For example, if you're not a fan of ginger, you can omit it. Likewise, you can add extra nutmeg, if that's your thing. Is cranberry juice too tart for your liking? Try using 1/2 cup juice and 1/2 cup water.
- 1 cup 100% cranberry juice
1 cup apple cider
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish
1 or 2 star anise pods, plus more for garnish
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup
2 shots gold rum, dark rum, or bourbon
White sugar and ground cinnamon (optional)
Fresh cranberries and apple slices, for garnish
- In a small skillet or pot over medium heat, combine the cranberry juice, apple cider, cinnamon sticks, star anise pods, and spices. Stir well.
- Simmer for 7-10 minutes. Make sure the mixture doesn't come to a boil.
- Optional: While the mixture is simmering, you can garnish the glass rims with cinnamon sugar. Mix white sugar and cinnamon (to taste) on a plate, then moisten the rims of two heat-safe glasses with water. Dip into the cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise pods with a slotted spoon.
- Carefully divide the spiced cranberry-apple mixture between two glasses.
- Add one shot of rum or bourbon to each glass. Stir well.
- Taste and add sweetener to each drink as needed.
- Garnish with fresh cranberries, apple slices, cinnamon sticks, and/or star anise pods. Cheers!
- Drinks, Cocktails
- 2 drinks
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 14 minutes, 59 seconds