Laundry doesn't have to be a chore. Instead of lugging your detergent, stain stick, fabric softener, and your laundry to the washing machine, here's a homemade laundry bomb that does it all. You can pick up the basic ingredients at your local grocery store for a few dollars, making these little helpers seriously budget-friendly. Scent with your favorite essential oil for a personalized smell and you're ready to get washing.
What You'll Need:
- Small mixing bowl
- 1 1/2 cup washing soda
- 1/2 cup Fels-Naptha
- 2 tablespoons Epsom salts
- 3 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 15-20 drops essential oil
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Measuring spoons
- Grate the Fels-Naptha into the mixing bowl and add the washing soda and Epsom salts. Fels-Naptha is a laundry bar soap that does a great job of attacking stains and cleaning your laundry. The boost of all-natural washing soda softens water while washing clothes. And the Epsom salts cut down on static cling and also soften fabrics once clothes hit the dryer.
- Now add the hydrogen peroxide and give things a stir. Hydrogen peroxide naturally whitens clothes and keeps your colors fresh. Stir in the vinegar, which busts through stains while leaving clothes soft. Then scent with several drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Once everything's incorporated, the mixture should resemble wet sand and clump together when pressed. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper and then use a rounded 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop up the mixture, press against the side of bowl, then tap out onto the pan. Finish with a quick spritz of equal parts vinegar and water. Let set for eight hours before using.
- Your laundry bombs are ready to toss in the washing machine! Use one round for small loads and two when washing lots of laundry. You'll love how they refresh your clothing without all the extra cleaners!
Makes around 28 laundry bombs. Want to try making more helpers for the home? Here's how to make 35 other cleaning supplies for pennies.