No girl wants streaky bronzer, which is why we partnered with a Target Beauty Concierge for tips that help you perfectly contour your face in seconds for an instant lift.
Done correctly, contouring can make any face look like a pro just spent hours perfecting your natural glow. But it's a thin line between looking lovely and potentially overdone. Not sure if your face shape is right for contouring? This technique works for everyone — really. You just have to focus on the right areas to make your angles pop.
The most important step of contouring is to blend, blend, blend! You want the bronzed areas to look as natural as possible, which is the key to chiseled cheekbones. Same goes for your essentials, which are necessary for getting the right slimming look. An angled brush, buffing brush, and a few makeup sponges ensure your products work the best they can.
- Bronze a 3: This suggestion is really so simple — dust your contouring brush in color and pull it in the shape of the number 3, starting below your cheekbone up to your hairline, loop around, and then sweep under your chin. Finish with a dusting of a highlight color at the higher points of your face.
- One swipe: For a deeper focus, dust your brush in the contouring color, move the brush in one direction from the hairline down under the cheekbone, and stop just under the line of your iris, like you're lifting your cheek. Work in one direction to avoid creating streaks of color. Apply a shimmery blush to the apple of your cheeks, and then dust with highlighter.
- The eyes have it: Don't forget to give your eyes a bit of color! Use the same contouring color to dust under the eye along the lash line and along the crease of the eye.
- Fishy face: You might feel a bit silly, but one of the quickest and easiest ways to give your face instant life is to suck in your cheeks and make a fish face. Use an angled brush dusted with bronzer to move the brush from the temple in one direction, and continue blending until you have a shadow under your cheekbone. Brush along the side of the nose and also under the chin. Add a touch of highlighter on the cheekbones and along the center of the nose, and you're done!
- Do a final check: If you're putting on your makeup in a windowless bathroom, give your work a double check in daylight to make sure you didn't have a heavy hand. Don't freak out if you can see bronzer lines — just grab a brush and sweep outwards, dusting away the excess pigment. You can finish with another dusting of powder to lighten your work.
More From Target Beauty Concierge
Target's talented team of Beauty Concierges are in-store advisors who can give you personalized product recommendations, discuss hot beauty trends, and provide step-by-step instructions to achieve the looks you love. Hours vary by concierge and by store, so visit the website for more information!