18 Action-Packed Avengers Halloween Costumes
Captain America: Civil War smashed the box office last year, the new Spider-Man slung onto the scene this year, and Thor: Ragnaraok is poised to take over next month, so it's super relevant this Halloween. Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, The Hulk, and their friends (and enemies) make some of the best costumes of all time. Who doesn't want to dress up like Loki and rule over the universe for a night? Before you choose from the many pop culture options this year, take a look through the Avengers — plus the supporting characters and villains — to get some ideas!
- What to wear: Just your typical skintight pleather suit will do. You'll need a utility/weapons belt. A wig with short, wavy red hair is a must.
- How to act: Casual, but armed with the knowledge that you could kick anyone's ass if you wanted to.
- What to wear: A long blond wig, black pants, and a red cape attached to an armored chest plate. You can fashion a winged helmet out of a bike helmet, cardboard, and tinfoil. And don't forget to carry around a huge, heavy hammer.
- How to act: Like an arrogant Norse god; use formal speech and kiss the hand of any lady who comes within striking distance.
- What to wear: A black miniskirt and tank under a red leather jacket. Black knee socks, boots, and leather arm warmers.
- How to act: Speak in a stilted Russian accent and lock eyes with people, staring at them enough to weird them out.
- What to wear: Blue pants and a red, white, and blue shirt with gloves and boots, plus a blue skull cap (or make it easy on yourself and buy it ready to go). Paint a shield with red and white stripes with a star in the center.
- How to act: Like a '40s hero: lots of confident smiles and fist-clenching.
- What to wear: Black pants, black dress shirt, long black leather jacket, black gloves, and here's the moneymaker: a black eye patch.
- How to act: Be cool, calm, and collected. Look at people with your exposed eye and give them your best Samuel L. Jackson impression.
- What to wear: You'll need a black morphsuit and a pair of cat ears.
- How to act: You have reflexes like a cat.
- What to wear: A skintight blue long-sleeved shirt and pants (think: a wetsuit). Wear a blond wig and add a little mustache.
- How to act: Get everywhere very quickly, and use a Russian accent.
- What to wear: A shoulder-length strawberry-blond wig with bangs and a professional gray business suit with a skirt.
- How to act: Check your phone constantly and tell people Mr. Stark is busy.
- What to wear: A t-shirt and jeans will fit nicely under your gigantic wings.
- How to act: Trustworthy and solid.
- What to wear: Go totally DIY with a long-sleeved shirt and a long coat with big shoulders. Add spray-painted gold chest plates and arm shields. Carry a large stick and tell people it's a scepter, and don't forget your elaborate headpiece (with horns).
- How to act: Like you're here to take over the planet. Take no prisoners.
- What to wear: Red body paint is a must. You should also wear a green suit with a yellow cape.
- How to act: Pretend to shoot energy beams from your hands.
- What to wear: Red leggings, chest plate, and shields for your extremities painted gold and crimson. Don't forget a helmet; it's dangerous out there. If you don't have the time for DIY on this one, you can always buy the costume.
- How to act: Cocky. Remember, under that metal suit is a handsome, billionaire genius.
- What to wear: A black vest, black cargo pants, and black work boots with a S.H.I.E.L.D. badge on your chest. Strap your arrows to your back, and carry your bow around.
- How to act: Stoic and strong.
- What to wear: No shirt and a pair of shredded pants. Paint yourself green.
- How to act: Use broken but direct English to describe your emotions and needs. Smash stuff.
The Winter Soldier
- What to wear: A suit of leather armor with a metal arm, long, greasy hair, and a mask that covers your nose and mouth.
- How to act: Don't speak, but do seem extremely tough and threatening.
Agent Maria Hill
- What to wear: Black everything: black boots, black leggings, black motorcycle jacket. Slick back your hair in a low ponytail and put in an earpiece.
- How to act: Very serious. Resist the urge to crack a smile and intone that the world is in peril.
- What to wear: A professional suit, but Coulson is in the details so make sure to put on your visitor's badge (if you're going for Thor-era Coulson), and either go with an earpiece or a walkie-talkie.
- How to act: Like a friendly Secret Service agent. Whip out your shades when necessary.
- What to wear: If you're really wanting to perfect the look, we suggest getting a Spidey suit for the occasion.
- How to act: Dorky, yet lovable. Stick out your palms at people like you're going to shoot out a web.