A St. Louis mom is turning her grief into a learning tool for parents everywhere. In early March, Kelly Smith-Miller's son overdosed on a deadly cocktail of heroin and Xanax. He experienced lung and kidney failure and his heart only functioning at 10-20 percent. He suffered pneumonia and a stroke and was lying in the hospital in a coma. Doctors told Kelly that if he awoke, he'd live in a vegetative state. She took her struggle to Facebook with a heart-wrenching post featuring photos of her son before the overdose and tethered to tubes in the ICU to encourage parents everywhere to show their teenagers the photos so they could see the affects of drug addition.
Since Kelly's post went up on Facebook on March 12, it has been shared more than 300,000 times. On March 17, she updated her Facebook page, writing, "Today is a turning point for my son. Still a long journey ahead, but I'm well prepared to travel it! Brayden will be moved out of ICU and moving into intermediate care. He has been able to breathe on his own for 24 hours and his heart rate, oxygen, and blood pressure is stable."
Read Kelly's entire post, and tell us, do images such as these deter kids from taking drugs?