French toast is one of those decadent, high-calorie recipes I've saved for a special indulgence — until now. Celebrity trainer Harley Pasternak's recipe makeover for whole-grain french toast with ricotta cheese offers more than 20 grams of protein with just over 250 calories per generous serving. Beyond the nutrition stats, this french toast offered the crispy crunch and the eggy soft center of the classic I was craving. I loved the creative additions of light ricotta, cinnamon, and fresh berries; I didn't even think about reaching for my maple syrup! Be sure to use high-quality whole-grain bread and in-season fruit for optimal taste, texture, and sweet (healthy) satisfaction.
- 1 1/3 cups egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk
- 2 teaspoons sucanat or stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh berries
- Whisk together egg whites, milk, sugar substitute, and salt. Pour into a shallow dish.
- Dip 2 bread slices in the egg mixture, coating well. Remove bread from egg mixture; drain excess liquid.
- Cook bread in a lightly greased large nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat with remaining bread and egg mixture.
- Sprinkle toast with cinnamon; top each serving with 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese and berries. Serve immediately.
Source: Calorie Count
- Breakfast/Brunch, French Toast
- 4 servings
- Calories per serving