Bite into a bit of Fall with these sweet potato cinnamon rolls. They contain no eggs and no dairy, making them a heavenly vegan breakfast.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm (not hot) water
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (like Earth Balance) melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- Cinnamon Filling:
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Maple Glaze:
- 3/4 cup arrowroot
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 30 to 40 minutes until completely soft. Once cool enough to handle, remove skins and puree flesh in a food processor until completely smooth. Measure one cup of puree. (Any leftover puree can be frozen for future use.)
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in a small bowl and set aside. Combine flours in a medium bowl and whisk together. Place sweet potato puree, vegan butter, maple syrup, salt, and yeast mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix until combined, scraping and stirring with a rubber spatula if necessary. With mixer running on low speed (2), add 2 cups of flour and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Add additional flour, a little at a time, until dough is not sticky to the touch and forms a single ball and releases from sides of bowl. Continue to mix for another two minutes, then transfer dough to a medium bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray, and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour, until dough has doubled in bulk.
- Place dates, vegan butter, 2 tablespoons hot water and cinnamon in a food processor and process on high until smooth. Add additional water if necessary to get a spreadable consistency.
- Remove dough from bowl and roll out on parchment or a floured surface to a rectangle approximately 16 x 6 inches. Spread cinnamon filling in an even layer, all the way to the edges, and roll up dough lengthwise to form a 16 inch roll. Trim and discard ends. Cut dough in half, then quarters, then each quarter into thirds, for a total of 12 slices. Coat a muffin tin in nonstick cooking spray, and place one spiral into each cup. Place in a warm spot to rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together arrowroot, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Once rolls have risen, bake for 15 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- Allow rolls to cool to the touch, and drizzle with maple glaze.
- 12 servings
- Cook Time
- 2 hours