When Strength Training
- Exercises that utilize your own bodyweight have been shown to burn more calories. Instead of doing shoulder presses with a set of dumbbells, get on the floor and do push-ups instead. Here's a printable no-equipment total-body workout that you can do anywhere!
- HIIT it! Add some high-intensity interval training to your gym time with a Tabata workout.
- Force your body to work harder by creating instability. Stand on one leg for your bicep curls, or work with an exercise ball or a BOSU. You'll use more muscles to hold your body steady — not just the ones you're intending to work.
- Do supersets, moving quickly from one exercise to the next without resting. This not only saves time so you can get in and out of the gym, but you're also increasing the intensity to work your muscles harder.
- Mix cardio moves with strength training for a metabolic burn, like this jump rope and strength-training workout — it's killer for the abs!
- Do multitasking moves that work more than one part of the body at once. These plank variations are great examples. You can also combine cardio with strength training by grabbing a kettlebell.