There's nothing more comforting than a bubbling dish of cheesy goodness, which makes this casserole a must make on cold and dreary afternoons — or when you're just craving something cozy. One of my favorite go-to dishes is eggplant parmesan, but all that breading and frying gets bothersome and is also so time-consuming. Swapping for crisp zucchini and opting for baking creates a delicious vegetarian main dish that really hits the spot.
Use your favorite store-bought pasta sauce for a really easy weeknight dish.
- 4 medium zucchini squash
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups No Yolks® Extra Broad noodles
1 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups pasta sauce
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup fresh parmesan
- Slice the zucchini on the bias and place in a mixing bowl with the milk and salt, which coats the zucchini while giving it a bit of flavor. Preheat your oven to 425˚F.
- Bring a stock pot of salted water to a boil and cook the noodles.
- Place the breadcrumbs and flour on a plate, and mix together. Coat a sheet pan with the olive oil, then dredge the zucchini through the breadcrumbs and arrange on the pan.
- Bake the zucchini for 10 minutes, then flip, baking for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Pour 1/3 of the pasta sauce in the base of a casserole dish then add the noodles, covering with another 1/3 of the pasta sauce. Layer the zucchini over the noodles, and then top with the remaining sauce.
- Cover the zucchini with the cheeses and pop back in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese has melted.
Want more comfort-filled noodle recipes? Check out this collection of dishes that really hit the spot.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- North American
- 4 servings