A couple of weeks ago, I made a chile con queso from the blogger the Pioneer Woman. While she served her variation as a warm dip, I decided to experiment with the cheese as a nachos appetizer. I substituted chicken habañero sausages for the Jimmy Dean.
The nachos were decadent and spicy, like a gourmet version of classic ballpark nachos.
Perfect for watching a game (or movie), these nachos are crowd pleasing and delicious. They are exactly what nachos should be: crunchy, melty, pure scrumptiousness. To learn how I made them,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large spicy habanero chicken sausages, casings removed
- 3 cups Velveeta cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 small can of diced green chilies
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add oil, then add onions and sauté until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add sausage meat and break up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until sausage is brown and onion is wilted, about 10 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and green chilies. Then, melt Velveeta, stirring occasionally to prevent bottom from burning.
- Spread a layer of tortilla chips on a large serving dish. Pour the cheese mixture over the top. Garnish with jalapeño slices, tomatoes, and green onion.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods