POPSUGAR is bringing you an exclusive look at Thanksgiving recipes from famous lifestyle influencers. We're excited to present the first online look at this pumpkin pizza recipe from Food Network host Donatella Arpaia, who recently opened Prova Pizzabar at Grand Central Terminal in New York City.
I just opened a new pizza concept in Grand Central Terminal this past Fall. The dough we use is unique and I wanted the toppings to be unique as well. So I worked on this Fall-worthy dish that we serve at Prova Pizzabar and adapted the recipe for the home cook! Cut the pizza into yummy small squares to make the perfect hors d'oeuvre for when your guests arrive!
If you don’t want to make dough, you can easily use puff pastry to make a savory pumpkin tart.
- For the pizza dough:
2 3/4 teaspoons fresh yeast or active dry yeast
4 1/8 cups fresh water
2 3/4 tablespoons sea salt
12 1/3 cups type “00” flour
- For the pizza:
Precooked pizza dough
10 ounces pumpkin puree
8 ounces guanchiale cut into small chunks (or pancetta)
Parmesan, grated to taste
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
8 ounces shredded mozzarella
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- Make the dough: Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let stand until the yeast is creamy, about 1 minute. Stir until the yeast dissolves. In a large bowl add the sea salt, then the yeast mixture and the flour; stir until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough ball to a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Lightly coat another large bowl with olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap and store someplace warm; let rise until it doubles in size, about 6 hours.
- Shape the dough into 20-ounce ball. Place the ball on a nonstick surface or parchment paper, and then cover with plastic wrap, allowing room for the dough to expand. Let the dough rise until doubled, 8-12 hours.
- Rest the dough in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Your homemade dough is now ready to be baked. Remove dough and allow it to come to temperature for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to as high as it can go for 15 minutes. Take sheet pan tray and spread thin layer of oil all over. Put some flour on your hand and stretch dough on table, then transfer into tray and press the dough further into shape of pan. Then drizzle dough with about 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Make the pizza: Prebake dough for about 10 minutes or until the crust starts to brown.
- Remove from oven and spread pumpkin puree on shell, add in guanchiale, grated parmesan cheese, rosemary, and mozzarella. Bake until melted.
- Top with toasted pine nuts, and serve.
- Appetizers, Finger Foods
- North American
- Serves 10