As Ingrid Nilsen, aka Missglamorazzi, shows in this video, making macaroni and cheese from scratch can be almost as effort-free as cooking the boxed sort. That is, if you make her easy recipe that doesn't require parboiling noodles or making a béchamel sauce. Watch the video to see her tricks for making this comforting, bacon-loaded dish.
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for greasing the dish
- 5 bacon strips
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 cups whole or reduced fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 package brown rice elbow pasta
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease baking dish with butter.
- Cook bacon in a skillet and set aside.
- In a blender, blend together the cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Reserve 1/4 cup grated cheddar for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining cheddar, milk mixture, bacon, and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared dish, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese, and dot with about a tablespoon of butter. Bake, uncovered, an additional 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Pasta, Main Dishes
- 4-6 servings