- For corned beef and cabbage:
4 pounds lean raw corned beef brisket
3 tablespoons pickling spice (often included with brisket)
1 medium rutabaga, halved and cut into wedges
1 pound large carrots, cut into 4-inch pieces
1-1/4 pounds large fingerling potatoes
1 leek, white and light-green parts only, cut into 3-inch pieces
1/2 head Savoy cabbage, cut into wedges
- For horseradish cream:
1 cup sour cream
6 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill pickle
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or green onion tops
- Prep the corned beef and vegetables: Place the corned beef in a large slow cooker and scatter the pickling spices on top. Layer the rutabaga, carrots, potatoes and leek in the cooker (in this order for even cooking). Add enough hot water (4 to 5 cups) to cover the meat by at least 1 inch, put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high, 7 to 8 hours.
- Make the horseradish cream: Whisk all horseradish cream ingredients together in a small bowl to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Make the cabbage: Remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker and keep warm. Put the cabbage in a microwave-safe dish with 2 cups cooking liquid from the slow cooker, cover and microwave until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Slice the corned beef and serve alongside the slow-cooked vegetables, cabbage and 1-1/2 cups horseradish cream.
- Main Dishes, Beef