Casey Reinhardt, a Cupcake Wars winner and chef/owner of Casey's Cupcakes, joins us to share her glamorous gingerbread cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Learn how to make and decorate the cupcakes, and then print out the recipe.
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup water, warm
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cupcakes: Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter with powdered sugar on low speed. Add molasses, egg, and egg yolk. Add flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water. On a low speed, mix the warm water mixture into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake at 350ºF for 18 to 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed. With mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Assemble the cupcakes: Use an offset spatula to ice cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles and seasonal candy, optional.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American
- Makes 12 cupcakes