A comforting casserole is so delicious, which is why we partnered with Mrs. T's Pierogies for this post.
Butternut squash is so versatile, and it makes a delicate base for a comforting casserole. Pair it with cheesy potato pierogies and sharp cheddar cheese, and you have a main dish or side that leaves you feeling so cozy. Balsamic caramelized onions add to the combination of flavors, cutting through all the creaminess of the ingredients.
And it couldn't be any easier to make. Simply layer in the ingredients and bake.
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 box Mrs. T's Four Cheese Blend Pierogies
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed in 1/2-inch squares
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Slice the onion and add to a sauté pan with the olive oil, garlic, salt until caramelized. Then add the balsamic vinegar and stir to coat, letting simmer for a few more minutes.
- Place the pierogies in a casserole dish, then top with the butternut squash. Add the caramelized onions and lightly toss.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes or until the squash is fork tender. Remove from the oven and top with the cheese and breadcrumbs, placing back in the oven uncovered.
- Bake 15 minutes more or until the cheese has melted.
- Side Dishes
- North American
- 6 servings
- Total Time
- 34 minutes, 59 seconds