Valentine's Day is one of the loveliest days of the year, which is why it's reason to celebrate when you're in a relationship, no matter where your other half lives. That's why we partnered with DOVE® Chocolate for this post.
Valentine's Day is a holiday that's better when you have someone special to celebrate it with. When you're in love, you want to spend as much time together as possible, but sometimes it can't happen. If you find you are separated during this amorous holiday and are looking for unique ways to show your love, we have a few suggestions that will keep you connected, even if you're miles apart.
- Skype a dinner date: Set a time and share a meal while Skyping. It might seem awkward at first, but after you both relax, it's a fun way to feel connected. Being able to see your partner's face makes such a difference, and it will feel like you two are actually together. You can even pretend you're feeding each other — just make sure not to drip on the computer.
- Mail them loving words: This one takes a bit of prep work, but you can mail a few love letters leading up to Valentine's Day so your special someone is surrounded by your loving words all week long. Be heartfelt and personal when writing out your endearing notes. You can even get really creative and try your hand at writing a poem or sonnet.
- Send flowers: It might seem a bit cliché, but the surprise of a big bouquet never ceases to impress. You can do a bit of research and contact a local florist in the area your partner is located on Valentine's Day to help personalize what type of flowers are included in the arrangement. And don't forget to include a personalized card. Try signing your note with that cute nickname your partner calls you. Tiny details make all the difference.
- Make a goody package: Fill it with things that you know your partner loves along with a few small tokens of your affection and lots of delicious chocolates. You can also have fun with this and include items that are special to you — even your favorite scarf infused with your signature perfume.
- Take a surprise trip: Go crazy and plan a surprise visit or figure out a spot to meet half way. It's an exciting way to celebrate the day with an element of adventure. If you do go the surprise route, be sure to ask others to help make it happen for a really big reveal on Valentine's Day.
- Wake up together: Even if you can't wake up together, you can still make your other half's morning by setting your alarm for whatever time they wake up in their particular time zone. Greeting your valentine with love and appreciation first thing in the morning will send them out to have a wonderful day, making you feel close all day long.
- Go text crazy: Send lots of texts all day filled with reasons you love your partner. Remind them of the time you met, the first moment you knew you were in love, or even little things that you appreciate every day that you're missing while he's gone. It's a nice reminder of all the things you love about your mate.
- Watch a movie together: You might not be able to cuddle up with each other, but you can put on a movie together strategically at the same time and either Skype while watching or text back and forth. It's fun and helps keep you connected.
- Send a picture: Have fun and send a selfie to your honey every hour sharing what you're up to — or wish you could be doing together. Getting coffee, having dinner, or even relaxing at the park. It's a fun way to document the day and share it together.
More from DOVE® Chocolate!