With the craziness of the holiday season going into overdrive (read: shopping, kids' holiday parties, dealing with your in-laws, you name it) sometimes it's a miracle mamas remember to leave the house with their heads screwed on most days. That's why even though we love seeing our kids' faces light up at the first glimpse of the family Christmas tree or after unwrapping that coveted gift, there's still a teeny, tiny part of us that's looking forward to starting with a blank slate in 2018.
And the first order of business? Trying to become a better parent, even if it's just by improving the little things. Here are seven small New Year's resolutions busy moms can make, even when it seems like there's no time.
- Take a moment to breathe when you're feeling overwhelmed. A few deep breathes can go a long way when you've gotten zero sleep and are running on very limited patience.
- Make more time for self-care. Whether it's going to the gym for an extra hour, reading a book, or grabbing coffee with a friend once a week, having a little me-time can work wonders on your psyche.
- Find small ways to cut back on spending money. Save up for a likely much-needed vacation and start small by saying no to that one food item you always end up throwing away or cooking at home with the kids instead of ordering takeout.
- Start saying no to things you don't want to do. Find yourself dreading going to an upcoming social event? RSVP "no" instead of suffering through it.
- Put down your phone. Yes, we all want to capture that perfect photo and get it up on the 'gram ASAP, but being present sans screens when you're with the kids should be a priority number one.
- Don't sweat the small stuff. Trust us, the world won't stop rotating if you leave a few dirty dishes in the sink, so have a nice cup of tea and relax instead.
- Don't be so hard on yourself. Dealing with the demands of parenting all while you're trying to do a million other things is hard work, so be kind to yourself. You're doing a great job, mama!