Skip Nav
Holiday
You're Going to Want to Take a Good, Hard Look at the Gap's Black Friday Sale — It's Nuts!
Ellen DeGeneres
Move Over, Oprah! Ellen DeGeneres Has Her Own List of 15 Favorite Things For Fall
Gift Guide
75 Gifts For 13-Year-Olds That'll Make You Feel Like You're Nailing the Whole Parenting a Teen Thing
Woman Helps Mom With Her Daughter's Hair
Staying Sane
The Sweet Way 1 Woman Helped a Mom Struggling to Style Her Black Daughter's Hair
Joanna Gaines Quotes on Her Kids Helping With Baby Crew
Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
The Sweet Way the Gaines Kids Help With Their 4-Month-Old Brother, Crew

Little Boy Burned by Garden Hose

How a Simple Garden Hose Gave a Little Boy Second-Degree Burns

Dominique Woodger thought she was giving her baby boy a great Summer experience as she turned on the garden hose to fill up a kiddie pool in her backyard back in 2016, but she ended up giving her 9-month-old son, Nicholas, second-degree burns over 30 percent of his body.

Although it has been two years since the incident, fire and rescue officials across the nation are re-releasing photos of the boy alongside a current warning to prevent any similar situations involving "non-flowing water inside a hose" from occurring this season.

As their warnings suggest, the mistake is one most, like Woodger, wouldn't predict. The Phoenix-area mom told KNXV TV she had no idea the water coming out of the hose was even hot when she accidentally sprayed her son.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I thought he was crying because he was mad . . . he hates when he gets sprayed in the face," Woodger said. "I didn't think it was burning him."

But almost immediately, his skin began peeling and blisters formed along his right side.

That day, it was 115 degrees, which means the water inside the hose – when left out in the sun – could reach as high as 150 degrees, the station noted.

"At those temperatures, something as short as a 10- or 30-second exposure can result in a second-degree burn," the city's fire department captain, Larry Subervi, said.

Thankfully, the boy made a full recovery. Woodger's advice: "Just be careful. Touch it before you let your kids near it."

From Our Partners
I Followed Through With Disciplining My Kids
Is It OK For Boys to Wear Shorts in the Winter?
Different Types of Parents There Are on Christmas Morning
I Don't Give My Kids a Toy Limit at Christmas
What Is the Happy Mama Retreat?
What It's Like to Travel With Kids During the Holidays
What the Holidays Are Like When Your Spouse Does Shift Work
Why I Don't Care About Screen Time During the Holidays
I'm Not Giving My Kids Any Christmas Presents This Year
How Much Does Adoption Cost?
Adoption Parents Are Real Parents
Trendy Baby Gifts 2018
From Our Partners
Latest Family
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds