Skip Nav
Gift Guide
The Best Gifts For Kids Ages 4 Through 6
Ellen DeGeneres
Move Over, Oprah! Ellen DeGeneres Has Her Own List of 15 Favorite Things For Fall
Holiday
Kohl's Black Friday Deals Are Here and Almost Too Good to Be True
Poll Finds US Parents Aren't Getting Their Kids Flu Shots
Health and Wellness
A Poll Found That a Third of Parents in the US Plan to Skip Their Kids' Flu Shots
Holiday
Everything's Coming Up Christmas at Kohl's — See What People Are Buying Right Now

Mom's Warning About Blind Cords

Mom Risks Internet-Shaming to Expose the True Dangers of Blind Cords

An Australian mom is sharing an important message about the dangers of blind cords after her 18-month-old got stuck in the vertical blinds in their home. Luckily for Stevie, blogger at My Tribe of Six, her story has a happy ending — her son wasn't harmed. Still, the mom is using her near-tragic experience as a way to educate parents and hopefully prevent something awful from happening to another child.

"WARNING: I ummed and ahhhed whether to even post this because you know, another major mum fail this week that could have killed him . . . just another thing to criticize another mother, but maybe it's more important than me and what you think," the mom starts in a post to Instagram, which accompanies photos of her son post-incident. She recreated the scenario with the sole purpose of illustrating the potential danger ("These photos were taken after what happened, before I removed the cords from our vertical blinds. To show how dangerous they are," Stevie wrote).

Earlier this week while I was folding the washing, he was playing next to the window, within my view, only two meters away (if that). Next thing I know, I hear him start to quietly cry my name, "Mamma." I looked up from the washing pile and see him caught in the cords, with them wrapped around his neck. I immediately jump up as fast as I can and untangle him.

We often read and hear about how the the cords on our blinds should be secured tightly to the frame work . . . and mine are! With safety tags attached and all. But these cords along the bottom are clearly a major oversight . . . I would never have given it a second thought if I had not seen what could have seriously hurt him . . . Please, check your vertical blinds if you have them on windows above floor length and little ones in your home.

Stevie's son was only stuck in the cords – they were wrapped around his neck but he thankfully wasn't choking – but please let her story serve as a reminder to be diligent when baby- and kid-proofing your home.

From Our Partners
How This Mom With a Toddler Uses Amazon Echo
I Won't Let My Kids Watch Gremlins
Matching Family Christmas Pajamas From Nordstrom
I Followed Through With Disciplining My Kids
Matching Mommy and Me Pajamas
What It's Like When Your Child Stops Believing in Santa
Carrie Underwood's Toddler Comments on New Baby Sibling
Video a Girl Stealing a Block of Cheese
Video of Toddler Rambling on the Phone
Mom Speaks Out After Daughter Died Napping in Car Seat
Elf on the Shelf Movie
Dwayne Johnson's Daughter Paints His Nails November 2018
From Our Partners
Latest Family
All the Latest From Ryan Reynolds