Christmas is the most wonderful time of year, but it's still important to be vigilant as far as dangers your pups can encounter when it comes to Christmas decorations. We teamed up with the experts at DogVacay to outline the three biggest things to watch out for to keep your dogs as safe as possible this Christmas.
- The Christmas tree is poisonous: Christmas trees can be harmful to your pets, so be careful of the one you bring home. Tree water is toxic, and swallowing pine needles, tinsel, mistletoe, and poinsettias can lead to difficulty breathing, low heart rate, vomiting, or upset stomach.
- There are hazardous chemicals on sidewalks: For that post-Christmas walk to burn off calories, put petroleum jelly on your pup's paws to protect from irritating salt and chemicals. Or if you have a tolerant dog, you can cover his feet with a pair of shoes.
- Decor can be dangerous: Discard ribbons, bows, and any other small bits and baubles after unwrapping presents so your furry friend won't be enticed to chew on them. Also, keep ornaments and candles out of reach and make sure Christmas light cords are kept away from pets to avoid electric shocks and burns in the mouth.