Now that Valentine's Day is behind us, it's a good idea to make sure any remaining truffles and chocolate delicacies are stored safely away from your pup. Chocolate contains theobromine, a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, which in certain amounts can be poisonous to your dog. Check out this handy chart that shares toxicity based on your dog's weight.
Along with chocolate causing potential harm to your furry friend, there are several other delicious food items that should be stashed far from hungry snouts. Here's a list of ones that might surprise you:
- Avocados: The plant contains persin, which is a toxin that can make pets sick. But the main concern with pups around this fruit is the ingestion of the pit, which is a choking hazard.
- Grapes and raisins: This sweet fruit is dangerous to dogs, potentially causing renal failure when ingested in large amounts.
- Macadamia nuts: Macadamia nuts, foods that contain macadamia nuts, and the oil are all potentially fatal for dogs, making any of those special Valentine's Day candies filled with these specialty nuts seriously dangerous.
- Onions and garlic: Allyl propyl disulfide, a component of onion oil, makes onions a big no-no for your dog. Eating large amounts can cause anemia as a result of breaking down the hemoglobin of your pup's red blood cells.
- Rhubarb: Due to its tart flavor, rhubarb isn't something your dog may be attracted to, but it's still a good idea to keep it out of his reach. The plant contains soluble calcium oxalates, which, when absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, can cause renal failure.
- Tomatoes: This red fruit contains tomantine and atropine, which can cause digestive issues for dogs. But it's actually the stems and leaves that are the biggest concern.
- Stone fruits: Peaches, plums, cherries, and apricots have pits that contain cyanide, which is poisonous.
Keep reading for other food items that are toxic for dogs.
If your dog exhibits odd behavior or if you are concerned that he may have ingested something questionable, then call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for help.