This salad can be prepped a day in advance; to store the asparagus and green onions, wrap in several layers of dry paper towels and place each in a sealable plastic bag in the refrigerator.
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed
2 cups thinly sliced green onions
2 cups 1/4-inch cubes peeled seeded Kirby or English hothouse cucumbers
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- For dressing: Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil.
- For salad: Fill large bowl with lightly salted ice water; stir until salt dissolves. Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, reserving 3 cups cooking liquid.
- Transfer asparagus to bowl of salted ice water to cool.
- Place green onions in another large bowl; pour hot reserved asparagus cooking liquid over onions and let stand until cool, about 30 minutes. Drain asparagus and green onions well. Transfer onions to clean kitchen towel and squeeze dry.
- Combine green onions, cucumbers, and herbs in mixing bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange asparagus on platter. Spoon cucumber mixture over and serve.
Serves 6-8 as a side salad.
- Vegetables, Salads