f you’ve ever had a Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell, you know what I mean when I say they are certainly crave-worthy! One day when I was thinking about how I could make a healthy version of these ever-popular pizzas, I thought why not take it a step further and make them mini…Because let’s face it everything is better bite size!These mini pizza’s make the perfect well balanced snack or meal! The refried beans serve as the ’sauce’ for these pizza’s, which also make them high in fiber! They are also packed with protein thanks to the ground turkey and cheese! So, the next time your Taco Bell cravings hit, remember these little Mexican Pizza’s! They’re so tasty, you’ll never believe they’re actually good for you!
- 3-4 large whole wheat tortilla’s, or enough to cut out 12 small circles (I prefer low carb/high fiber tortillas)
- 1 cup lean ground turkey, cooked (OR lean ground beef OR 1 cup Morning Star Meatless Crumbles)
- 1/2 cup salsa of choice (I used one with corn)
- 2 tsp dry taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup low fat refried beans
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded mexican blend or 2% cheddar cheese
- Optional Toppings: sliced black olives, shredded lettuce, low fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 12 count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Start by laying each tortilla out individually on a flat surface, and use an empty can, glass cup, or cookie cutter to cut 3-4 medium circles out of each wrap.
- Press each wrap circle into muffin tin using your fingers. (Note: it doesn’t have to cover the entire side of the tin, it should just fit snuggly!)
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ground meat, salsa, taco seasoning, and refried beans. Stir until well combined.
- Scoop 1/8th cup of meat mixture into each wrap.
- Top with shredded cheese, (dividing evenly between each pizza), and olives if desired.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Wait for mini Mexican pizzas to cool, and remove from muffin tin using a fork or knife. Pizza’s should pop out with ease! Serve with a side of salsa, low fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and/or shredded lettuce if desired!
- Other, Snacks