- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Kosher salt
- 4 skinless, bone-in turkey thighs (about 4 pounds)
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 15.5-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with juices, broken up
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 11/2-inch pieces
- 3 medium red onions, halved and cut into wedges
- 2 whole dried red chiles
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, including leaves and some stems
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine the allspice and 3 teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Season the turkey thighs with half the salt mixture in a 5-quart slow cooker.
- Toss the squash, chickpeas, tomatoes, apricots, raisins, carrots, onions and chiles with the remaining spiced salt. Pour the vegetables over the turkey (the cooker will be full; arrange the mixture so the lid fits). Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Spoon the vegetables and broth into bowls. Remove and discard the turkey bones and place the meat on top of the vegetables.
- Juice the lemon; pulse with the cilantro, parsley, garlic, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Add the oil and process until smooth. Serve the stew in bowls; drizzle with the cilantro sauce.
Serves 6 to 8.
- Poultry, Main Dishes