8 oz (1 cup) unsalted butter plus enough softened unsalted butter to grease the pan
3 oz (2/3 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour plus enough to line the pan
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large room temperature eggs [this seriously makes a difference]
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 oz (3/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
- Position rack in center of oven and heat to 350F.
- Butter and flour a 9" square pan, tapping out excess flour. [I decided to use cocoa powder instead of flour.]
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove pan from heat - whisk or stir in sugar, followed by all four eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Go slowly to keep the ingredients from flying out of the pan. Stir until smooth and uniform.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan, smoothing so it fills the pan evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean (there will be a few clumps clinging to it) — this will take about 40 minutes.
- Let brownies cool completely in the pan on a rack.