The cookies begin to cool and harden right away so begin with 4 until you get fast enough to add one more. Then you can alternate sheet pans every 2-3 minutes. Start with the brownest ones first they will harden the fastest. You will not be moving away from your oven so have all utensils at hand.
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 40-50 1-by-2 1/2-inch paper strips
- 40-50 6-inch-square foil wrappesr or wax paper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cream the butter, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Slowly add the flour and mix until just blended. Half cup at a time, place the dough into a tempered glass measuring cup and microwave for 15 seconds until pourable.
- Trace 4-5 3-inch diameter circles on one side of parchment paper. Place paper ink-side down on a half sheet pan. Spoon 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of the batter over a circle template and use the back of the spoon to smooth it into a thin, round layer within in the circle, similar to a crepe. (Thinner is better than too thick; you can tell it’s too thin if you can see the baking sheet through the batter.)
- Have a cooling rack, offset spatula, and wooden spoon available. Bake for 4-6 minutes. At the first sign of browning around the edges remove the pan. Working quickly, use the offset to lift the soft cookie on to the wooden spoon. Carefully using your fingers — it will be hot — roll the cookie around the spoon handle, pressing the edge into the seam. Place seam side down on rack.
- Once the cookies are cool, roll paper strips with New Year's resolution messages into a tight roll and insert into the cookie. Roll the cookie in foil, twist sides, and tie with ribbon.
- Desserts, Cookies
- 40-50 cookies
- Cook Time
- 1 hour