Sometimes the most unexpected, out-of-left-field occurrences wind up having the most profound impact, wouldn't you agree? For me this week, that occurrence was Goldie Hawn sharing a video of herself energetically breaking it down to "Dance Monkey." In the clip posted on Instagram, the 74-year-old star bops around her home to the catchy Tones and I song with such enthusiasm and endurance, I honestly became short of breath just watching it unfold. I would undoubtedly attend a Zumba class taught by Goldie (which, if I had to guess, would be named something along the lines of Getting Down With Goldie).
Goldie kicks off her seemingly unplanned dance video by jumping around on an outdoor veranda before heading inside, shakin' what her mama gave her, running back outside, and then quickly back into her bathroom, where she claps along to the track's beat before an abrupt ending. There are so many important observations to unpack here. First of all, a round of applause for the mystery phone holder who recorded the entire production and nimbly kept up with Goldie's sporadic movements. Secondly, as the actress alluded to in her caption, she blatantly ignored the fact that her phone was ringing in the background as "Dance Monkey" blasted over the speaker, which really speaks to her passion for the song. Also worth noting: her bathroom appears to have a couch in it, which . . . #BathroomGoals.
Once you dig past the surface observations, Goldie's now-viral dance video holds much deeper meaning. Not only does it flawlessly encapsulate my mood at 5:01 PM every Friday, but it also represents a whole slew of common feelings, which I simply couldn't resist detailing in full below:
- when a friend texts me, "Hey, can we reschedule tonight?"
- when there's a BOGO deal on my favorite ice cream
- me 0.3 seconds after the vodka hits
- when I find a new Netflix show that has 10 seasons with 20+ episodes each
- when I successfully shove the cashier's change back into my wallet in a timely fashion without getting too nervous
- when someone asks if I want to get pizza
- when the direct deposit hits my bank account
- my endorphins after a workout
- when I slide into the crowded subway just as the doors are closing
- when I get the entire row on the plane to myself
- when I finally hit inbox zero
- when my favorite jam comes on in the club
- when the bartender pours a little extra sauv blanc in my wine glass
- when I actually get a full eight hours of sleep for once
- when the person I hoped would watch my Instagram Stories actually watches it
- when I narrowly avoid stepping on dog poop on the sidewalk
- when I get a new dating app match
Mark my words: it's truly only a matter of time before this clip sparks the internet's new favorite meme or TikTok challenge. You heard it here first, folks.